Thursday, October 25, 2007

The fine line between money and life

Agreed that money is what spins the world today (Though I would like to think it is the electromagnetic fields generated by earth's molten core :-p). Everything one requires for leading a “comfortable” life needs money.

But I for one have started to believe that there exists such a thing as a fine line between the amount of money needed to lead a comfortable life and the amount of money one ideally wants to possess. Given the basic human nature of hoarding and selfishness, no-one is ever satisfied with the amount of money he or she has.

Result? Well consequently people end up spending their lives running after moolah and coming up with new ways and means of making more moolah. But I say what is the use of that money if you burn out the best years of your life (read 20s and 30s) making that money and when you finally do manage to find time to enjoy the money (say 50s???) you are not in a shape or state of mind to undertake a lot of activities that you would have been able or wanted to a decade or two earlier.

Mind you I was of the same opinion as everyone else, that making more and more money is all that matters in this materialistic world, but of late have started to realize that today comes only once. So yes while I continue to work hard to make some good money, I also plan on making sure that I devote a certain chunk of time of my life to myself for enjoying the things that I love to do and spending time with people I care about, because the time passed never returns.

I mean, isn’t it kind of like selling your soul to the devil? Yeah you get immortality when you sell your soul, but to what end?

Again, that might just be me talking, but then doesn’t everyone have a right to his or her own thoughts!

2 comments:

Rajesh said...

Money and Life do not go hand in hand. Though one is dependent on the other - there's definitely a difference. You probably said it right - people tend to spend more time trying to gather every penny they can; although they realize the need for enjoyment - the moolah power overshadows it.

Experience is a comb that you get when you are old and BALD. You probably won't need a comb then :P. The point you said - goes in the same line.

What one can do is learn from others (fathers and forefathers). I realized that pretty late myself. Have started to do as much as I can to enjoy my quota - after that :)

Mr. Hyde said...

very true... and like u said, things to be learnt from the other's mistakes... itz a sad thing that this summer went unutilized... will make sure to do 200% utilization of summer '08 ;-)...